Friday, February 06, 2015

I own the mornings

There was a time when I slept through the nights, I'm sure of it, but it hasn't happened for a long time.  I was always an early riser, but during the night my sleep used to be uninterrupted.  At some point when I was in my forties, I started waking up often during the night, for no apparent reason.  As I talked to other women, middle-aged and beyond, I found that many of them had the same problem.  Part of the problem, in my case, seemed to be my aging bladder, but I think there were other causes I've never figured out.  

I have no problem initially going to sleep, but I wake up about every two hours during the night.  Once awake, I get up and go to the bathroom.  Most of the time I go back to sleep after a while, except for that 2 A.M. call.  After that one, I often lie awake until 4, when I finally get out of bed.  I refuse to get up any earlier than that.  

Getting up at four is the bright side of the picture, because I love early mornings.  Everything is quiet:  I can surf the Internet or read or play Suduku on the IPad.  Oh, and the taste of that first cup of coffee in the morning!  It's the best part of my day.  I grind my coffee beans and inhale that wonderful fragrance as I put it in the brewer basket, and my taste buds get all excited waiting three whole minutes for the Bunn coffeemaker to do its job.  

After being up and awake for an hour or so, I go outside to tend to the cow and calves; I put my coat, hat, and boots on over my pajamas and robe.  Once done with that, I'm back inside again for my last cup of coffee.  On babysitting days I get dressed and comb my hair before the little charmer gets here.  Often, on days she won't be here, I leave my pajamas and housecoat on until after Cliff gets up and eats breakfast.  He gets up anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30, and I see to our breakfast.  

In spring and summer I often take my coffee cup outside in the early hours around sunrise and stroll around, seeing what surprises nature has in store for me.  Even in winter, forced outside by the bobby calves I choose to raise, I like going outside and seeing what kind of day is in store.  Windy?  Cloudy?  Bitter cold?  I'm ready for anything after being outside for a little while.  Give me your best shot, Mother Nature!

As for my interrupted sleep each night, I've come to terms with that.  I must be getting all the sleep I need, because it's been this way for years and I seem to be dealing with it.  At least I own the mornings!

4 comments:

  1. Your nights sound like mine. If anything is on my mind I have trouble sleeping period. I wish I were a better sleeper, but I think I need to just take myself as I am and make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it works well for you and it sounds like you enjoy that time. My dad is like you! I usually try to sleep in on the weekends until about 8. However, I'm usually awake before that. And often there is a kitty scratching on the door to get me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You own the mornings. I own the nights. Our body clocks are pre-programmed to do what they do. Sounds like you have your routine in order and it's working for you. ENJOY those mornings with Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you I love early mornings. Unlike you though, I don't go outside this time of year to great the morning. I watch the sun rise from the kitchen window. Getting up early while it is still dark makes the day seem like it has endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!