Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Day two: Monday

After a good night's sleep on a clean bed at my cousin's house, we were on the road again headed north.  Cliff decided that Iowa folks don't know how to drive.  We stopped at a rest stop for lunch and had tuna sandwiches, made on the spot.  

At four o'clock we pulled off I-90 at Murdo, South Dakota, found a fifty-dollar motel room (old and tiny, but spotless, and not stinky), and listened to the proprietor tell us about his feud with the lady across the street.  We had first pulled into her property, but noticed it was a combination motel/bar and decided against staying there.  I have nothing against drinking, but I don't want to try sleeping at a bar.  


It wasn't a bad place to stay.


After we checked in, we walked up the street to check out a car museum.  



It was first and foremost a car museum, but there were lots of other interesting things there.

Back in the 1930's, this is what a motel looked like.  Only they called them cabins back then.  If you get the opportunity, watch "It Happened One Night" and you'll understand.

We spent a couple of hours at the museum, then went back to the motel where I fixed supper on our propane camp stove.  I had frozen the last of a batch of chili I cooked while our son's family was visiting and tossed it into the cooler before we left home.  All I had to do was take it out of the ice chest and heat it up; an easy meal.   
The only problem we had on this day of travel was poor reception on our cell phones.  Let's hear it for T-Mobile... NOT!  

I believe it was while we were at this location that we found out our daughter's white counts were low, and she had to go into the hospital for a couple of days.  Quite a downer, and we wondered if we should have left home at all.  Have I mentioned lately how much I hate cancer?  Or how much we love our daughter?

6 comments:

  1. Cancer SUCKS!! I read her blog and wondered how her hospital stay worked into your trip. No fun at all to be stressed about our loved ones when we're on vacation! We have verizon and they work most places, but it's expensive. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff is right, people in Iowa don't know how to drive. Too bad they don't STAY in Iowa when they're driving. Around here, when you see a car stop at a green light, you can pretty much bet your paycheck it's got Iowa license plates.

    I have complete faith in Rachel's ability to kick cancer's butt. Just sayin' =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 2 doesn't sound bad at all. I guess that car museum did have a lot of other things in it. Sorry about your cell phone though as I imagine you really needed it with your daughter back in the hospital. I am praying as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading up on your trip. The post on the Bucket list was unbelievable! So sorry you had so many troubles. Hope the check comes through, I bet it will. Now I am going over to check on Rachel. :o)

    Hot here, humid, we need rain. Scooter has an abscess in his foot the vet thinks. I am soaking it in Epson salts and putting the tar stuff on and wrapping. Hope it helps, the x-rays didn't show anything. Got my ring enlarged to 70X140 and now can't ride the Scoot! Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get my phone to work in my HOUSE...lol! I wondered if you were on a trip when Rachael was sick. I know that had to have worried you alot. I hate cancer too...and heart attacks also. I do love your writings on your trip. love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really sorry that your daughter ended up back in the hospital. I have been so preoccupied with my own issues I hadn't checked her site in a while. I know she's going to kick CANCER to the curb, regardless of what it's doing to her. She's a FIGHTER, that's for sure. And cancer sucks, big time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!