Early this morning I made cottage cheese, following directions carefully. This time I succeeded in making cottage cheese that is very similar to store-bought in taste and consistency.
A month or so ago, I tried my hand at making hard cheese; this was before I bought a dairy thermometer, and there was quite a bit of guesswork involved. Nevertheless, I followed instructions as best I could, using a cheese press made from a pineapple can. I used an NIV Bible atop a drinking glass as the weight that forced fluid out of the cheese, wrapped the block of cheese in a clean handkerchief, replaced the hanky a couple times, and forgot about it. Once a rind had formed, I was supposed to seal the cheese in melted paraffin and let it age for a month or so. But because there was so much guesswork that went into this particular cheese, I assumed it wouldn't be very good, and I hated to waste the paraffin.
Yesterday I decided to see what things looked like inside that rind. It was a very tough rind, let me tell you; it took all I could do to get a knife into it. But once I cut one end off, I found cheese.
I sat down at the computer and glanced on my sidebar: Five Dollar Dinners was telling me it's time to plant garlic! As luck would have it, I bought four huge heads of garlic Monday, so I took the big outside cloves off and went out to prepare a spot in the garden.
I've had a creative day, and a fun one, too.