Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Garden in mid-October

I only planted one zucchini plant; it's still giving me a couple zucchinis every day.  


It takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', like Timex.


The tomato plants are ugly,


But they're still supplying me with tomatoes, such as they are.


Turnip roots are starting to grow rounder.


The late beets probably won't make it before a big freeze, but I've had some surprises this year.  I'm open to more.  


The carrots probably don't have time to develop before winter either, although I am wondering if they'll start growing again next spring.  It will be interesting to see if they do.


Will the late-planted cabbages supply us with food this fall?  Cabbage can stand up to quite a bit of cool weather; I'll find out just how much, this year.  
This has been such a fun gardening year; I hate to see it end.


The new green bean plants are ready to start providing us with food for the table.  

4 comments:

  1. Raw turnips with salt? I'm there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to have a second garden. I am still loaded with green tomatoes but we have had one light frost so I know they won't last much longer. I have a little bit of broccoli left to harvest then we are done. I'm going to try planting garlic this year. I need to get it in the ground soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your crops hope that they are plenteful!!

    -- Christopher

    www.cmarlow.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie3:01 PM

    I went to Bakersville Heirloom Seed Co in Mansfield this weekend. What a place! Got lots of packets to try out in the spring. Signed up for their catalog too. And my girl friend had made green tomato relish and it was really good. I forgot to get the recipe from her. The juice was similar to a bread and butter recipe I think and she had carrots and onions in it too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!