Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The plant that ate my home

When I removed the strawberry plants from the flowerbed in front of my house in July, I was left with quite a bit of unplanted space.  July isn't the best time to plant anything, but I had a ten-cent packet of annual flower seeds and decided to use those to fill in some of the empty spots.  The name of the flower was on the packet, but I didn't pay attention; nor did I read any description of the plant.  I threw away the packet as soon as the seeds were planted.  


There used to be more of the huge stalks, but I cut back quite a few of the vile tentacles that threatened to kill a daylily plant.  


The flowers aren't really much to brag about.  If you're wondering why I don't just remove the plants, it's because I want to see just how tall they will grow.  If I ever happen upon a packet of such seeds again, though, you can bet I'll run like the wind to get away from it.  Frost will soon kill everything, and then I'll chop the pesky plants down.  


I do hope some day to find out what it is.  


Flowers everywhere!  They'll soon be gone, but it won't be so long until I'll be watching for the first hyacinths and jonquils, then the tulips, and finally the iris and peonies and day lilies.  
That is, if I make it through the winter;  we're never guaranteed our next tomorrow.  

3 comments:

  1. The seasons and the flowers too will come again. We just don't know where we'll be or what we'll be doing that's for sure. What ever that plant is it sure likes where it is. I just have to admire anything that grows. We have things here that tend to take over too if they are not trimmed back. It's true of some people I know too, too bad they can't be trimmed back as easily. I hope your day is a great one there in your part of the world. I do believe we're to have some sun here so that's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 AM

    looks like cosmos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I've had sunflowers eat my back hedge in the past...but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!