Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My spoiled dog

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Before Sadie, I had a mongrel dog I'd raised from a puppy. Her name was Mandy, and I loved her more than you can imagine. She ran free, and as a result, she was hit and killed by a car on the highway not far from our house, just about the time she was maturing and becoming easy to get along with.

I couldn't stop crying, so my husband insisted we go to the animal shelter and find another dog.

I intended to find a cute little puppy, but an almost-one-year-old dog reached out to me. We brought her home, and named her Sadie.

The people at the shelter warned us that she was hyper; I thought I knew what that meant, but alas... Sadie gives new meaning to the word.

I can't turn Sadie loose, because if she sees another dog anywhere, she'll go chasing after them. It doesn't matter how much I call to her.

Sadie sheds fine hair all over the house; I find it in the most unlikely places, like on the stove and table. I might as well have gotten a cat.

But I love her. So I take her out on a leash to do her business, lest she run away and get hit by a car. I mop floors more than I ever did in my life, trying to keep the hair at a manageable level.

What is it about dogs, that we need them so?

3 comments:

  1. HI Donna!
    Once you get used to everything here on Blogger you will like it. It does take a little getting used to, but it's not so hard. Any old dog can learn new tricks---I did! If you have any questions just give me a hollar ok? I'd be glad to help you.
    Huggers,
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:17 PM

    What is it about dogs????? It's unconditional love. I prefer most animals to people. When Doc and I head out to Arizona and take Luke with us it's most interesting about the dog hair. I usually am wearing a dark color and Luke is white, so by the end of two days I look like I have been "dipped and rolled" in coconut. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we do need our doggies....I would be lost w/o my Tugie....They are so special.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!