Sunday, December 30, 2012

Things I learned in 2012



I learned how to properly fry chicken. 

One should not try to move a full kettle of canned tomatoes from point A to point B until it cools off. 

Sweet potato plants can look totally dead and dry upon arrival and still come back to life. 

I have yet to see a portion of the USA that is any more beautiful than Colorado. 

Cats get fat and lazy once they're neutered.

After a long period of not attending church, it's good to be back in the habit of gathering with like-minded people once a week.  Somehow it helps keep my mind on the right track.
  
If someone comes along who constantly "rubs me the wrong way", all I have to do is keep my mouth shut and figure out the lesson I am supposed to be learning from that person.  Oh yes, there is always a lesson there; if I'm wise, I will find it and put it to good use in my own life.   

Years ago, I read a book called "Lord, Change Me".  I've forgotten what the book was even about, but the title has stayed with me.  The older I get, the more I realize that I can't change anybody else; I can't always change my circumstances; but if I really try, I can work on my attitude, and that changes how I perceive difficult people... whether they are neighbors or relatives or politicians.  

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.

Travel east, travel west, after all, home is best.  My Grandma Stevens had a throw pillow with those words on it; I believe Uncle Paul got it for her during or after WWII.  I think about it every time we leave home for several days.    

Life is even shorter than I thought.  


7 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful list ! Everything you have learned is so positive. I think you do have a great outlook on life. I'm always saying I learn something new everyday, so maybe I should start making a list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list of learning--especially the part about how short life is. I learned that one the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I learned this week is
    One of the greatest prayers is

    Help me, Help me, Help me!

    And a greater prayer is

    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

    I enjoy what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great list. Travel east, travel west, after all home is best really hit a chord with me. My 2012 post will be up bright and early tomorrow.
    Wishing you all the best in 2013.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please share with me the proper way to fry chicken so I can add that to my "learned in 2012" list too! (My fried chicken needs ALOT of help)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never cared for resolutions (and I've never been able to keep any, either), but I think it's a great idea to reflect on what you learned the previous year.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!