Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I cried for an hour yesterday morning

A friend got a good deal on fifty pounds of onions last week and shared the bounty with me.  I believe I brought home five three-pound bags.  I chopped a bag and a half to put in the freezer, then decided that was enough crying for one day.  
this is a gallon bag
A while back I saw what I considered a good buy online.  It was a Cuisinart ice cream freezer that makes one quart of ice cream.  It's on Amazon.com for $50, but I got it for $30 including free shipping.    
Do you see the ice cream inside?  I love home-made ice cream, but if I make a gallon of it, I eat most of said gallon:  NOT what the doctor ordered.  So this baby is just the right size, as long as I don't use it too often.  It works like a charm, giving me ice cream in twenty minutes.  Since I always have fresh milk and cream courtesy of Bonnie-the-Jersey-cow, there is no problem finding the ingredients needed.  I simply took my old tried-and-true recipe and divided it by 1/4.  Oh, it was SO good!  
Today is our big monthly shopping day.  I imagine it will be a mess, with Christmas so close at hand.  Wish me and the other one-fourth of senior citizens on Social Security who are shopping today good luck!  I get my piddly little Social Security money on the second Wednesday of the month; Cliff's is in the bank on the third Wednesday, and it burns a hole in my pocket until I get every bill paid and all the grocery shopping done.  
I notice our electric bill has gone down more than 30% since we sold the hot tub.  The savings is especially noticeable now that the weather is turning colder.

4 comments:

  1. I'll be joining you shopping today as I have to get things for our family celebration on Saturday. Food store and bakery on on the list. Hope your day goes well ! That ice cream looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an ice cream maker that has been used once. I would like to get rid of it. Is homemade ice cream lots better? Good luck on the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, man, now I want to make ice cream. And I'm lactose intolerant, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onions would be the nicest gift to me. I love onions in everything. Not ice cream of course. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!