Friday, August 06, 2010

Everybody talks about the weather

That's why I don't talk about it much.  Besides, I have that weather widget over on the right-hand side of this blog; so if people are interested, they can find out more than they ever wanted to know about the weather here in God's country.  
The reason I mention this is that Miss Krissy emailed me to ask how the weather was around here.  She's in Oregon, a state which seems to have nearly perfect weather most of the time.   She tells me that even 60% humidity bothers her.  This summer ours is usually 70% or more; I know this because Cliff has tractor parts to paint, and he can't paint when humidity is high; needless to say, parts remain unpainted.  
We've had more rain than usual this year, but now it seems as though Mother Nature has put the brakes on that, and is giving us no precipitation at all.  That'll teach us to gripe about the rain!
I think perhaps it depends on where you were raised, just how much the weather bothers you; I've always lived in Iowa or Missouri, so I know what to expect:  ANYTHING!    
We've had the hottest summer in several years, but I recall hotter ones where the temperature didn't get below 80 at night and highs stayed above 100 for two weeks at a time.  And we didn't have air conditioning then.  
Last winter was snowy and colder than usual, but I've seen worse ones.   
One thing about Missouri, and I know you've heard it before:  If you don't like the weather, stick around for awhile; it will change.  (If you want to have some fun, Google the words "if you don't like the weather".  It's amazing how many states use that statement as their own.)     
Ironically, now that it isn't raining every day, our motorcycle needs a new alternator, so here we sit.  Cliff thought the problem was the battery, but no.   Maybe I need to set up a new envelope for motorcycle expenses; otherwise it's going to be using up all the funds in our "FUN" envelope.  
But I don't think I can afford another envelope!  
Stupid envelopes.  Now I know why that one blogger calls Dave Ramsey "Damn Ramsey".

1 comment:

  1. We do use that statement about the weather here in Ohio too. We can't do anything about it except try to enjoy what we have for sure. I've got to say that today is a near perfect as you'd ever see here. By the time retirement days roll around you are going to have that envelope system worked out. One thing I did when figuring my budget was to leave out those emergencies. I know we all have them but I figure that's what my savings is for. Otherwise the month to month is accounted for. Now I don't have a tremendous savings account so I'm hoping the emergencies are far and few in between.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!