Sunday, September 07, 2008

My own little vacation resort

Here you see the most frivolous thing Cliff and I ever bought (and we've bought many). It's my new hot tub. Left to right, that's me, Cliff's sisters Rena and Charlene, and Charlene's husband, Pat. (By the way, the foam is gone now; we purchased some anti-foaming stuff.)

I'm still trying to get the PH lowered to the proper level. I've learned chlorine has to be added after each use. If I ever get all that right, I'll feel like a chemist. Wish me luck.

Charlene and Pat moved to St. Louis a year ago to take advantage of a job opportunity, but they left a lot of their furniture and "stuff" in their farm house not far from here. The house sat uninhabited all this time, but of course the yard had to be mowed, the wintertime temperatures had to be kept above freezing, and so forth. It was a hassle, with them living over three hours from here.

Then they were presented with an opportunity similar to the one we had when Cliff's sister needed a place to live after her divorce and moved to our old house: a gentleman they knew got his divorce finalized and sold his house; he needed a place to live.

The only down side to this (to them) is that they have to get rid of the "stuff" at the farm. Charlene will keep some of it. She's given me every type of shelving and storage item she owns because I need such things for my new back room and for the section of the new garage Cliff says is mine. My daughter has needed a hutch for years, to display some red dishes my mom bought her years ago; now she has one.

I guess all that is not really a "down side", though. If they haven't used it for a year, they probably need to get rid of it. It's just hard for people who work all week to devote a couple of weekends to moving.

Meanwhile, because they're in the area moving things, they're spending the weekend at our house. And what better way to get rid of the aches, pains, and worries involved in moving than to relax in a hot tub? They'll be here next week too, finishing up.

That spot where I'm sitting in the hot tub is a lounge-type seat that massages upper back, lower back (kidney area), backs of thighs and calves, and the bottoms of the feet. It is SO relaxing! When I get out, my whole body feels limp as a wet noodle. My knees don't hurt for hours afterward.

My husband bought this extravagance specifically for me, but he's found out it works wonders on the shoulder and back he abused during his butchering years.

As we sat in the warmth of the hot tub last night with gentle rain falling around us, my brother-in-law sighed and said, "I wonder what poor folks are doing tonight?"

Indeed, we felt rich.

5 comments:

  1. That hot tub looks so inviting! What a great idea. You can use that hot tub long after a pool would be closed. You are blessed that you have family and friends to spend time with you and that is what makes it so special. I was reminded of that by the family wedding I attended a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! That what we say when we are enjoying ourselves. Like sitting watching the deer. My sister in Canada has a hot tub, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how wonderful for you!
    my hubby has been wanting one for years....yours makes me want to give in....LOL
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful for you!
    my hubby has been wanting one for years....yours makes me want to give in....LOL
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic buy. Cliff should be awarded.

    That looks so relaxing indeed. With body massages too, I think you got a piece of heaven in your home already.

    Yes, your BIL is thoughtful to feel for the less fortunate.

    It's like a weekend everyday there!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!