Friday, February 28, 2014

This long winter

It's discouraging when I look at the ten-day forecast and still see single-digit lows almost every day.  I've been fighting off cabin fever for at least a month, just like everybody else I know.  I read.  I surf and listen to music on the Internet, discovering old gems that are new to me.  Thank God for all these diversions.  

But the time comes a person just wants to get out the house.  Oh, we went to tractor club meeting last night, but that's mostly a bunch of old guys talking about where we'll go on tractor drives and such this summer, and it takes place in a dusty, cluttered auction barn.  Whoopee.  We were back home in less than an hour and a half.  

Yesterday I asked Cliff what his plans were for today.  He reminded me that, since Fridays are the oldest grandson's day off, he would probably be here to help restrain the calves while we dehorn them.  Alrighty then, I had better think of what I'm fixing for dinner (noon meal), something Arick will like.  That's what I thought. 

I found out this morning the grandson is working overtime and thus won't be here.  When I began plotting, I realized we have seen about everything Kansas City has to offer, at least things we would enjoy.  I wouldn't mind going to Nelson-Atkins again if I thought there was a chance of getting a guide like we had a year ago, so we could learn something, but I'm not sure what our chances would be on that score.  We've been to Truman Library many times and the World War I museum twice, at least.  Steamship Arabia was interesting; we've only been there once.  We've seen most of the museums, the old jail on the Independence square, Harry Truman's house:  In spite of the fact we have no culture, we've been around Kansas City.  

Movies are never a possibility, because with Cliff's extreme hearing loss, he isn't able to enjoy movies without captions.  Someone told me there are theaters that show movies with captions on certain days, but the truth is, I don't care that much about movies anyhow.  We're living on Social Security.  Movies are overpriced, and it's usually our luck to end up sitting there bored to death because the one we choose usually sucks.  I'd rather be home reading a book from the library.

What I really want to do is get out and till the garden, but we know that isn't going to happen, thanks to the Polar Vortex; leave it to the weather-guessers to slap a name on a cold front that will make it sound deadly.  

Now that I have considered all my options, I think I'll stay home, read, listen to music and surf the Internet.  Cliff will be very happy.  

Time to go give the baby calves their bottles.  Past time, in fact.  Have a great day, everybody!

5 comments:

  1. I hate this winter too. I haven't really done much except go to the ranch I volunteer at a few times and saw a couple movies. School has helped at least keep my mind active.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been getting out to do grocery shopping and occasionally go to church. Too many Sundays the weather has been too bad for even that. I agree we need to get outside. I so miss the flowers and the warmth. Even pulling weeds sounds pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a bit of cabin fever too. So I understand what you mean. Curling up with a good book is what I do best. Sounds like when all else fails you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds miserable. I don't get that here because it's pretty temperate in WA and I don't mind rain. I hate hail though! Hope that spring starts to show itself soon so you can get out and start working outside. I am excited to see my tulips start coming up; I can hardly wait to see them bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get the more I hate winter. I never knew it could get this cold in Texas. Half the time I'm freezing my tootsies off and the other half I'm choking on the dust storms.

    Most of the movies nowadays are pure crap. I'd rather read a book.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!