Friday, July 09, 2010

What to do with eggplant

Small Farm Girl asked what I do with eggplant.  Well, it's great on the grill; I think my son-in-law brushes oil on the slices, and perhaps some seasonings.  It's really tasty, but not one of those things that's good left over.  
My favorite use for eggplant is ratatouille.  You can find a recipe in any recent Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, or just google it.  You also need tomatoes and zucchini for that dish.  
Another recipe you can find online or in most cookbooks is eggplant parmesan.   If you like Italian cooking, and if you like cheese, this dish is for you.  
I got the recipe for eggplant roe from my Kansas City Russian friend.  It's sort of like a salsa that's great for dipping.  Click HERE for the recipe.  I'm always on the lookout for any other ways to use eggplant.  If any of my readers have suggestions, be sure and comment.  
Google led me to a whole passel of eggplant recipes HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Hi Donna...well I am not an eggplant lover...grilled is the best way I like it...and that Bonnie...she looks so sweet peeping around the corner there...and I am with the kids..I don't like blackberries...with or without ice cream LOL...and your trip to Branson...wild and amazing LOL...God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family went out to Thai food a few years back and my husband thought a part of eggplant was actually a potato! You should have seen his face--priceless! Evidently, he doesn't like eggplant! I would probably enjoy the eggplant parmesan because I'm a fanatic about cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family used to deep fry sticks of eggplant sans seeds and pulp, skin off, in a seasoned tempura batter. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke10:36 AM

    Donna, I like falafels, hummus, and baba ganoush* (* made with eggplant). There are several recipes around.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_ghanoush

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!