Thursday, July 01, 2010

Road trip

Cliff and I have been wanting to ride the motorcycle to Arkansas and stay in the Hub Motorcycle Resort for a long time, but seems like something always went wrong:  Last time we made a reservation, rain was forecast for the whole weekend and we cancelled;  the rain materialized, too.  
Cliff's youngest sister and her husband spent a few days at the Hub recently and loved it.  That did it for me; I suggested to Cliff that we make reservations, and if it looked like rain, we'd drive the car and haul the motorcycle on a trailer.  
Until mid-week, the forecast looked perfect throughout the weekend.  Then suddenly the weather-guessers started putting chances of rain in for Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  They're blaming it on the current tropical storm.  
We've changed our minds a half-dozen times about whether to take the car or not.  I know it sounds like the easy way out, but it really does spoil the adventure of the trip; half the fun is getting there, picnicking somewhere along the way.  Coming home, it would be nice to have the comfort of the car, but you can't have it both ways.  
So I think we're going to take our chances with the rain and be free spirits.  On the way down, we hope to stop at Gene's Gallery in Springfield and see if they have any accesseries we need for our Gold Wing.    
I'll be taking the laptop along.
Cliff's sister will be next door keeping a sharp eye on the place; Iris will once again be boarded.  She seemed quite happy with her stay last week, so I feel at ease about it this time.  She'll be in air-conditioned comfort, hopefully away from the noise of firecrackers, which are driving her nuts around here.    
There was a little glitch in our plans today, but it all worked out.  My bathroom developed a leak in the plumbing; actually there had been a drip for awhile, but nothing we couldn't live with.  Today it was serious enough that Cliff decided to try and fix it.  
He did his best, but he's not a plumber, trailer house plumbing is the cheapest-made in the world, and he ran out of time and had to get ready to go to work.  I suggested a plumber, and he agreed that since we're leaving, there was really no choice.  We picked one out of the phone book; Cliff left me a huge handful of cash and went to work.  
The plumber declared it an easy job and was done in fifteen minutes.  I asked him how much I owed, and he said....
.
.
.
,
,
,
,
,
,
.
.
.
.


Twenty-five dollars.  


WHAT?????  That's all?????  Maybe this was a better day than I thought.

4 comments:

  1. Hot-diggity!! Keep that guys card. Take the ride not matter what. Half the fun is dealing with adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki9:34 AM

    Do you get to keep the rest of the money? Have a great trip. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie11:12 AM

    Have a nice 4th! If I still lived up your way I would ask for his name and number, but I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found an honest plumber! Wow! Surely it is a sign your trip will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!