Monday, July 05, 2010

A little bit about the Hub Motorcycle Resort

Some of my information came from Cliff's sister, so I hope I don't get any of it wrong.
The owners and managers of the place, Randall and Debbie, live at the motel themselves.  Debbie holds down a full-time job in addition to all the work she does at the Hub.  You will find them outside visiting with their customers most any time, although Debbie seems to help out in the restaurant a lot, too.
As I understand it, the motel sat empty and idle for twenty-some years; Randall and Debbie opened it in 2006.


I saw this on a wall at the restaurant.  Much of their business comes from word-of-mouth; that's how we heard about them.  If you have friends who ride motorcycles, be sure to tell them about the Hub.  There are no better motorcycle roads anywhere than those in Arkansas.
Now, if you are looking for a new, totally up-to-date motel, this isn't the place for you.  Our room was clean, though, and lacked that peculiar smell most motel rooms have.  The air conditioner worked, and hot water was instantly delivered as soon as a faucet was turned on.  And of course, the most important thing of all:  free Internet connection!   The camaraderie between the proprietors and the bikers who stay there is evident all the time.  Cliff and I pretty much kept to ourselves, but we would have been welcome to sit and chew the fat with the proprietors and the other bikers.  There are bonfires outside for those who care to join in.  
Campers are welcome to stay for $10 a night, and there's a shower and bathroom for them to use.


Here's Cliff, discussing a strange three-wheeled motorcycle with another guy.  There was a rally going on when we were there, so many of the motorcycles were BMW's (not that three-wheeled one, though).


Just as I started to miss Iris, the resident mascot decided to befriend me.


You see him here looking through the window of our motel room.  I didn't get his name, but he's the most lovable animal you'd ever want to meet, never jumping up on people... just greeting everyone with a wagging tail and a smile.


As we were heading to breakfast (I recommend the Western Omelet), he frolicked with us on the stairs.  My sister-in-law told me he's a rescue dog.  
Please help spread the word if you have friends who ride motorcycles; Arkansas is one of the best places they'll ever find for riding, and the Hub Motorcycle Resort is the best place to stay; you'll feel like part of the family.  


Of course I bought the T-shirt to prove I've been there.  


I have another motel to talk about, but I won't be giving it such glowing reviews.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are enjoying your trip. It's so hot here today I wouldn't want to be on the road but I did see a few motorcycles going by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED ARKANSAS SINCE A CHILD. WEDDINGTON ARKANSAS WAS BOYHOOD HOME FOR ONE STRAWBERRY SEASON WHEN I WAS SIX YEARS OLD, FAMILY PICKED STRAWBERRIES TO EARN GROCERY MONEY. THEN FAYETTEVILLE. BECAME AN OKIE THEN AND ENJOYED MANY VISITS BACK TO ARKANSAS. WONDERING

    WHICH TOWNS ARE NEAR TO THE 'HUB' ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful place to stay. I'm glad you guys had a great trip and didn't get rained on. (Looking forward to the pics and story of the *other* place you stayed!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!