Wednesday, June 04, 2014

The CenturyLink Saga

It all started when my modem arrived, along with instructions on how to hook it up.  A letter warned me, though, not to attempt to do anything with it until after 8 P.M. on Tuesday, May 27. 

I started the process that was supposed to hook me up to the Internet and then chickened out.  After a whining post on Facebook, Granddaughter Natalie came over to bail me out.  Unfortunately, when she was through, there was no Internet connection.  

So I called CenturyLink.  They informed me that I would be able to connect after 8 P.M. on Thursday, May 29.  I mentioned the letter, but the lady didn't want to hear it.  "Thursday, May 29, after 8 P.M.," she told me firmly.

Unfortunately, I still didn't have Internet, although when I called, they would tell me, "Oh, it's pending."  

Friday, same song, same verse.  Grandson Arick was here trying to help out, and connected with a tech who had him check a few things.  No Internet, but a lady told me, "There will be someone there to check out the problem within twenty-four hours."  

I looked at the clock:  2 P.M. Friday.  So somebody would have to stay around all day Saturday until two o'clock.  We did.  Nobody showed.  

Sunday we left for Iowa, and got home Tuesday evening.  I called CenturyLink and told a man that nobody showed up Saturday.  "Oh, I see he was there yesterday (Monday)," I was told.  

Nobody told me he was coming Monday, or I would have informed them that we would be away from home.  The guy set me up with another appointment for someone to come today.  He said he would make a note to have him call me.  I got a call today around 1 P.M. and told him to come ahead.  And then I watched.  
I saw the CenturyLink truck pull up in front of the old house.  I saw a man get out and head for the door of the old house, and I ran out there.  "That isn't the house," I said.  "It's back there (motioning toward the mobile home)."

"But this is where they sent me," he said.  

So finally I have Internet.  If you have more than two options and CenturyLink is one, choose the other option.  That's all I can say.


Diane@Diane's Place said...

I had CenturyLink for over 20 years. As soon as SuddenLink cable offered me a better deal I took it and have been very happy with it for about 7 years now. I have cable, home phone and internet bundled with them.

Sorry you had such a rigamarole and runaround with them, and glad to see you back in business.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

We went with Hughes Net. They were here two days early!


Sounds like you got the run around. Thank goodness you saw the guy or you still wouldn't have internet.

Margaret said...

Did you ever find out what the issue was? That would drive me nuts. I live in a development so I've never had to worry much about internet, wifi, etc. Your posts have made me NOT take it for granted.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad you finally got connected. I know I love my internet so I'd miss it terribly. Nothing seems simple any more.

Donna said...

The issue was that they turned on the phone service to the wrong house, the one we just moved out of.

Sheila Y said...

I think customer service would be a lot better if they had more companies they had to compete with to get our service. Glad you are finally up and running! Sheila