Friday, December 15, 2017

I'm on my own today

A few years ago, Cliff was down at Versailles with his brother, Phil.  I don't recall why they were there or why I wasn't, but when Cliff got home, he told me they had driven the backroads around Versailles, Phil showing him some of the various places where their aunts, uncles, parents, and grandparents used to live.  One thing Cliff found out was that the place he remembers as his dad's parents' farm wasn't theirs; they were squatters.  The more I heard about my husband's interesting day, the more I wished I had been with them.  Cliff said sometime we would have Phil do the tour again, and I could go along.  

I brought this up the other day and he said, "Well, I'll call Phil and we'll plan to go."

I assured him I was ready, and was even a little excited about it.  However, I had forgotten one important fact:  I'm a dog owner now.  Gabe will be fine to leave all day when he's grown, but I'm pretty sure he couldn't make it 10 hours at this point.  Besides that, I don't know what he'd do here all alone.  Some dogs destroy furniture and woodwork and such when left alone too long.  So I backed out of what is most likely my last chance of getting this tour, the planning of which had been spearheaded by yours truly.  The plans were made, his brother was involved; I told Cliff to take their sister in my place and enjoy, and I'd stay home with Gabe.

As always, I have a book to pass the time, but I am also making cookies and boiling a turkey carcass from Carthage, Missouri.  My son-in-law kindly had his Carthage relatives save their Thanksgiving turkey frame for me, as he did last year.  He brought it to me double-bagged and frozen, and at that time I had just finished processing the grandson's turkey frame and didn't want to get into that mess again for awhile.  But today's the day.  Those boiling bones smell like Thanksgiving Day.  I'm going to have to stop and find something to eat pretty soon, because it's killing me.  The finished product won't take up nearly as much room in the freezer as the whole skeleton does, and I'll have a quick meal out of it some cold winter day.  Turkey frame soup is a favorite around here.  

The two calves are doing fine, bawling for their bottles every time they see me.  Their bowels have been loose off and on, so I've been giving them two pills a day, and with the one that has the most problem, I've replaced a couple of milk-meals with electrolytes, the last package of which I used today.  I asked Cliff as he was leaving to stop at Orscheln's when he drove past and pick up a few packages of Resorb, because I always want it on hand when there are calves here.

Half an hour later I got a call from Cliff asking, "Are you sure you got that stuff at Orscheln?  Because there isn't any here."  He was at Higginsville with his sister, on the way to pick Phil up.  I told him I was positive, but to just forget about it and we'd find some tomorrow.  

Five minutes later he called again.  "I got it.  Rena asked somebody who works here for help, and they showed us where it was." 

What is it about men that they won't ask for assistance finding something?  

Peace!






5 comments:

  1. Donna, have you ever heard of "crate training"? I can't imagine having a new puppy without it. A crate (sometimes called a veri-kennel) is invaluable to keep a puppy confined and once a puppy is used to it, more often times than not they'll go to their crate to sleep even though the door is not closed. Yes, you're right... puppies could never hold their bladders or bowels for 10 hours. Adult dogs would have a hard time holding it for that long (you should try it sometime.... agony city!!) but would have an easier time of it being adults, that's for sure. I'm so sorry you missed the chance to go on the little sight seeing trip. Too bad you couldn't have taken puppy with you. Blessings~ Andrea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Andrea said was my thoughts, also. Especially about taking the Schnauzer with you -- he would have loved the trip. Luie traveled to Houston with us as a pup -- 13 hours in the car. He also went to Washington, D.C. almost as soon as we got him. We were so lost in DC - it was our first trip -- and we forgot the morning run with Luie while we were trying to find out where we were supposed to be staying -- and Luie happily pooped in the backseat. Gussie, who was with us, was so mad. It was the only time I saw her snap. Before we could stop both dogs had mashed poop over all the backseat. But we got it cleaned up quickly and we threw the pillow out that had the most damage. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a shame you couldn't go with cliff on the tour. but gabe takes priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you couldn't go, but I think your reasons were good. Sometimes it's good to have some alone time! What book are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such an interesting life! It's so varied! My life seems all the same thing...day in and day out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!