Monday, December 11, 2017

Cats can change your world

 While I was in Napoleon getting a haircut Thursday, the hairdresser told me a sweet little story I'm going to share.  I'm paraphrasing, and may get some small detail wrong, but you will get the idea.  All wives and daughters will relate to this story.  

The lady's seven-year-old daughter spotted a stray kitten behind a dumpster at a gas station and fell in love with it.  The mother reluctantly said they could keep it, but not until the vet looked at it.  Well, the vet told them the cat was full of internal parasites; my hairdresser said, "I was not taking that cat home without knowing it was free of problems," so she boarded the cat with the vet for a week while he treated it.  When mother and daughter went home they broke the news to the husband, who has never liked cats.  He was adamant:  No cats in the house, period!  It was NOT coming into his home.  This went on for a few days while the cat was with the vet.  

"You mean he turned his sweet little girl down when she pleaded with him?"  I asked.  Yep.  He did.  

Finally, while the deadline approached for going after the cat, the girl went to her father and said, "You won't even give me a chance to show you I will take care of it!  If you give me a chance, I'll prove to you I can!"  By the way, this was during Girl Scout Week, and the child then told her dad, "It's the Girl Scout thing to do!"  There were more words from both of them, and they slammed outside through separate doors.  

Mom, listening from the other room and staying out of things, then heard a knock on the front door.  Her father-in-law, who had obviously heard some of the not-so-quiet confrontation, asked where his son was; she pointed toward a door, and out he went.  

Perhaps he put in a good word for his granddaughter, because when all was said and done, the cat was allowed to come home.  "And is she taking care of her cat like she promised?" I asked.  "Oh yes," she answered.  "She even cleans the litter-box every day without being reminded."

"How does your husband feel about the cat?"

"He's fine with it now.  And you know, I never had any idea how easy cats are to take care of!"

And they all lived happily ever after.

I hope you, my reader, have a happy ending to your day.


5 comments:

  1. Very nice story! I love cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A similar story with my Dad. He hated cats, we got one when I was little, and he ended up loving the cat more than anybody. They have a way of working themselves into their owner's heart. Such a nice story.... but hope they didn't leave any kittens behind, as there is usually never just one. Can you tell I'm a cat rescuer? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i thoroughly enjoyed this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just knew I'd like this cat story, didn't you?
    My father always hated cats. I got my cat (kitten) Scratch about two months before my Dad died. Amazingly, he really liked Scratch and even bought her toys, food, and a cat bed.

    Since I have so many extremely bad memories of my father and his violent temper - I'm so glad that I have these pleasant memories of him with my cat. It was very unique.
    I think a lot of people who hate cats just don't know how affectionate and intriguing they can be.

    BTW - it seems like a lot more men dislike cats than women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear a good story with a happy ending ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!