Monday, February 06, 2017

Gathering my favorite music

My daughter insists neither Cliff nor I will ever go into a nursing home, in spite of my orders that if I get to a point I don't know who I am or where I am, I would rather be in a nursing home.  My daughter-in-law is taking care of her mother in her home, and thanks to Facebook I've seen how this limits her activities.  I've also seen the heartache various people experience while trying to take care of someone who wanders outside at night while everybody is asleep.  I never want my children to give up years of their own lives to care for someone who doesn't even know them any more.  My daughter still insists she's not letting me go to a nursing home.  Who knows?  Maybe I won't have Alzheimer's.    

I've mentioned the Netflix documentary, "Alive Inside" on this blog.  I told Rachel about it, and she and Kevin watched it.  As we discussed it later, she said, "But Mom, how would I find the kind of music you like?"  

She has a valid point.  I don't know anybody who enjoys the same kinds of music, mostly folk, that I do... at least not as a steady diet.  I told her that if she couldn't find anything else, just play the old Church songs, and she said, "Oh yeah, I can do that!"

This morning I realized something:  I have a CD-storage album that contains MY kind of music exclusively.  All Rachel needs to do is hunt this album up, and she'll have her solution.  I never get these CDs out, because I listen to everything on Prime Music these days, or Pandora.  But these are my heart.


Chuck Brodsky

John Prine

Church of Christ music with no instruments

My Native American music, including one by Floyd Westerman

Loudon Wainwright III

And there's, of course, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Pete Seeger, and others.  With this thought in mind, I realized I was leaving out a huge genre that most people don't know I like:  Music from the 1940's, the slower, dreamier ones.  So I just now ordered a CD set of songs that were popular around the time of my birth:  "I'll Be Seeing You" and others like it.  

My daughter said she would have to let me listen with headphones, because she has no desire to listen to my music.  That's fine, my hearing is going little by little anyhow, so I will probably hear better with headphones.  

Once in a blue moon they can throw in a little AC/DC and Bob Seeger, too.

Take that, dementia!  

5 comments:

  1. I don't want my kids to take care of me either. They should have the right to their own lives and activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, good post. Just today my brother (87) and his wife are being moved into an Assisted Living home. He is very upset and I understand but there comes a time and they don't even have children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to chuckle about the AC/DC and Seger at the end. You have some interesting CD's. And ecletic taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree, I wouldn't want my kids to take care of me either. A nursing home is the best place to be at that point. Funny how music effects us all. Having a playlist would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I wish I had my Back In Black album still. I'll be in a mental-health facility one day for sure & I know it & accept it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!