Thursday, August 02, 2007

Libby gets a bath

I worked Libby in the round pen this morning, and handled her feet a lot; I neglected her for too long this summer, and she had gotten downright touchy about her feet; when Cliff and Arick decided to trim them the other day, she staged a little protest.

My daughter kept an Arabian gelding here for one summer and left behind some horse shampoo. That's something I wouldn't normally waste money or time on, since horses will always thank you by rolling in the first dusty spot they can find as soon as you're done.
I've cooled Libby off with the hose before, and it isn't her favorite thing; but I'm sure with time she'll learn to appreciate a nice shower on a hot day, just like Blue does.

It's unusual to see Libby without those ears perked up.


Can't you imagine what she's thinking? After all, this is a totally new experience.

She stood for it, at least.
She looks a bit humiliated, doesn't she? I think she's plotting a way to get revenge.
"When is this procedure going to be over?"

"Yeah, yeah, go ahead and take pictures and have your fun; the other horses are going to laugh at me when they get wind of this junk."

I rinsed the soap off, combed her mane and tail, and put her in the stall with some grain and alfalfa hay so she'd dry off a little before I turned her loose


"Silly woman was putting water all over my outside, but that didn't quench my thirst."

Blue says, "You smell mighty peculiar, little pal."

"REAL peculiar."
"Why is everybody smelling my nose and my butt?"

"Mom, what have you done to me? I'm an OUTCAST!"

Later, Libby came up with a way to get even.

When I went to check on her, exactly two hours after her bath, she had a surprise for me:



"See Mom? I fixed my problem! Now the other horses all like me again."

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! I am rolling in my chair here laughing! That is the cutest post ever! Yep, they really know how to get back at you don't they? Mine do it every time especially the palomino who really shows the dust and dirt and HATES his bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to click on that last picture to make sure but she's actually sticking her tongue out atcha. How adorable!

    I love your blog, I grew up on a horse farm and miss that stuff ... sometimes. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obnoxious horses. They get a big kick out of doing that, I know. Mine have been so dirty lately that I have to hose them off before I can saddle up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

    She has become a beautiful horse, Mosie.

    Keep up the pics. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:14 AM

    DONNA I LOVE IT I HAD TO LOL AND I AM STILL LOL THAT WILL TEACH YOU. I GUESS SHE SHOW YOU A FEW THINGS, AFTER ALL OF THAT WORK. JO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty horse. :) I haven't ridden in years and really miss it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!