We received an inch and 1/4 of rain this morning, so I knew it would be wet in the woods. My feet are in terrible shape, and I can't wear boots very long at a time because I have to have my inserts to remain pain-free. So I got my rattiest pair of sneakers and put plastic bags inside them. It worked pretty well.
There's no lack of fungus in the woods, but I only eat morels. It's too easy to get poisoned by mushrooms if you don't know what you're doing. I don't know what sort of mushroom or toadstool that is growing on the dead wood. See all the Mayflowers growing? That's always a good sign it's time for morels.
This little guy is about the size of the tip of my little finger. I sat and talked to him for awhile... which is how my butt got wet. I did find several morels, but they were all too tiny to pick. I love the macro setting on my Canon.
I did pick the biggest one I found, just to be able to say I had one. I put a penny beside it for comparison.