Sunday, March 18, 2018

I'm trying to keep my blog alive!

The problem is that nothing of interest happens here.  We go shopping, sometimes if only to have an outing, and that's it.  Then we come home to sit around surfing or reading all day, and we watch television in the evening.  I cook a nice noon meal each day and experiment with the electric pressure cooker.  The grandson comes over to visit most days after work.  The daughter and her husband usually come to visit after getting off work on Tuesdays. 

So there's my life.  I guess I just completed this entry. 

Part of this inactivity is due to the fact Cliff hasn't been feeling well.  He's had several painful symptoms for which there seemed no reasonable cause, and he was sleeping away his time.  Of course once cancer has interrupted a person's life, every random pain or affliction seems to remind one that the "Big C" could return.  Especially if a couple of the painful areas are at, or near, lymph glands. 

Early last week, I suggested to Cliff he visit our family doctor, but he said something like this: "I don't know what they'd do about it, even if I went."  However, on Thursday I called and made an appointment with Stephanie, the nurse-practitioner we both prefer to the actual doctor.  I couldn't go along, since the appointment was scheduled for 3 PM; I knew our little girl would be down for her nap at that time. 

Stephanie listened to Cliff's symptoms and told him several different things it might be, from shingles to arthritis and several things in between.  She decided he should try a steroid, Methylprednisolone, and see what happened.  It's in one of those packs where you take six pills the first day, then one less each subsequent day until they're gone.  Now, I hate steroids, and couldn't imagine what good they would be for his symptoms, but I do trust Stephanie, who told him if they didn't help, they'd do an x-ray, but the insurance wouldn't pay for an x-ray until they tried this first. 

Cliff got his pills.  I gave him a whole sermon on what I hate about steroids. 

The next morning, after taking the initial six pills, Cliff got up saying, "This is the first day I've gotten up without that same old pain in ages!  Surely this stuff wouldn't work that fast, after only one day." 

"I'm going to go kiss her (Stephanie) right on the mouth," he said with enthusiasm.

So now he's had three days of feeling decent.  Yay!  He will be getting a PSA test this week, and we're hoping for a low score. 

BREAKING NEWS!!!  We're going someplace next weekend.  OK, so it's a swap meet, but hey!  It's in Adrian, which takes us "sort of" in the vicinity of Martin City, which has one of the best fried chicken places, a superior steakhouse, and a pretty decent barbecue.  All that in a town with a population of less than 700 people.  How will we ever decide which place to patronize?  Since we have a freezer full of beef, I think it will be either chicken or barbecue. 

You know, as I look back over this boring and depressing blog entry, I realize Cliff and I are practically living out a song John Prine wrote years ago:  "Hello In There".

Me and Loretta, we don't talk much more
She sits and stares through the back door screen
And all the news just repeats itself
Like some forgotten dream that we've both seen
Someday I'll go and call up Rudy
We worked together at the factory
But what could I say if he asks "What's new?"
"Nothing, what's with you? Nothing much to do"

Chorus:

Ya' know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello"

So if you're walking down the street sometime

And spot some hollow ancient eyes
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello"


13 comments:

  1. Steroids are magical things! They stop pain via clearing up inflammation in a heartbeat. I need both knees replaced and am crippled with pain most of the time. Steroids take away all that and I feel young again. The only problem is that steroids are extremely hard on the body's organs so doctors hesitate to prescribe them and definitely don't prescribe them for long term use. But I LOVE them!!

    As far as your blog, maybe you could consider posting your opinions once in awhile? Your entries don't always have to be about what's physically happening in your world. You might hear something on tv or read something in the newspaper and then give your opinion about it, here on your blog. My life isn't exciting either... I don't think most peoples are. But whatever you post about, I always find your entries enjoyable. But the entries MUST be enjoyable for YOU as well.

    Lovingly, Andrea
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great entry; often when we start writing about our mundane lives, something random comes up or leads off in a different direction. I agree with Andrea about posting some of your opinions. I find it interesting to ask people questions sometimes about their lives or what they would do. It's fun to share about favorite books, recipes, TV programs, movies, etc. I'm delighted that Cliff is feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I always enjoy your music selections! I learned about John Prine from you and enjoy his music now.

    My grandparents always lived in the country and when they passed I lost my connection to all that. I love reading about your garden and animals and property walks. And Cliff's tractors!

    You are not boring, you are interesting. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up....just keep truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lying here in my hospital bed I hunger for the words to while away the day. Your words and the song have lifted me a little. So glad that the steroids are helping Cliff. I don’t like them either but there are times . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your blog posts, even if the don't seem exciting to you. I also enjoy hearing stories from your childhood. I'm not at all a fan of steroids either, but sure have enjoyed stellar results when they have been prescribed. A & I both love NP Stephanie! She will sit and listen, then try to help resolve the problem. I trust her intuition and knowledge fully. She is our "go to" Nurse Practioner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is definitely alive. You're telling the story of your existence and that's always interesting. I like to hear about real life.
    Some bloggers don't reveal a thing about their personal lives and I personally think that's annoying.

    Some of my very worst, haphazard blog posts get the most comments and attention. The posts that I think are good (like my most recent) get no responses at all.

    Just keep being yourself. We love it.

    And by the way - some of the people in the previous comments have encouraged you to express your opinions on various subjects. For me, that has always been a very dangerous road to tread. Every time I express a personal opinion I seem to make enemies and generate wrath. It's a gift......(*smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't stop blogging! I read it every day! All us old people think our blogs are boring but notice...people still read them. Keep blogging! I am happy Cliff is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered your blog when I was over at Margie's Musings. I haven't been posting on my blog for quite a while now, because of the feeling of not having anything exciting to post about plus some computer, and camera problems along the way. I'm not wanting to shut it down, but should post something if I'm going to have it, I suppose.

    I just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your post today, and the Joan Baez video. Excellent song that I would never even have known about had I not seen it here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to hear cliff is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely good news Cliff is feeling better. Hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh Donna, I truly am pleased when I turn on my computer and it shows a new blog post from you. I completely enjoy everything you write about.
    So glad the steroids are helping Cliff. I get them in my knees every so often and I think i need one in my hip next. Ugh! Getting old is not for the faint, isn't that what they say?
    Take care. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your blog posts. I can't remember even one where you didn't have something interesting to say

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!