Monday, March 19, 2018

There's always something to blog about

It's true.  Even when it seems as though nothing is blog-worthy, motivation will find a way.  I've always smiled at those who comment about "what an interesting life" I lead.  I will tell you that some of the most interesting stories around here are inspired by the child we babysit, but I don't like to put her "out there" by way of this blog, since I have no idea who, or what sort of people, access it.  I talk about her a lot on Facebook, where I have some selection of who my audience is.  But I don't use her as blog fodder (there's a word only my country-raised readers will understand).  

I started this particular blog in 2006, but I blogged on AOL Journals for two years before that, until they shut that feature down.  I imported the contents of that journal to Blogger.  Most of the photos didn't make the trip, since they were hosted by AOL, but all the words are there.  If you're interested, you'll find that portion of my writings at My Country Life.  Near the beginning you can read about my visit to our nation's Capitol, thanks to my friend who lives in that area.

Someone commented on my last entry that I should perhaps base some of my blog entries on my opinions, but I don't do well with controversy.  If you want to know my political leanings, I tend toward Libertarian; the other two parties left me long ago... I didn't leave them, they left me.  

As for religious views, I wouldn't touch that subject with a ten-foot pole, except to tell you I believe in God and I love Jesus.  What I would like to say about my religious beliefs, or any other beliefs I have, is this:  I could be wrong.  I hesitate to put those words here, simply because some Christians take offense at it.  But I'm human, and willing to recognize the truth:  I could be wrong.  How else do you explain the hundreds of Christian denominations that exist?  And many of those groups believe they are the only ones who are right, and that they alone have the key to heaven.  Somebody, somewhere, is wrong.   

You see, I don't like controversy.  I'm not good at debate.  My brother and sister were grown and gone by the time I was two years old, so I didn't get the opportunity of learning to argue, having been raised mostly in a rural setting with few neighbors.  I developed a vivid imagination, and conjured up fascinating imaginary friends (mostly Indians) who never argued with me.  I wandered the woods at Grandma's house alone when I was there, loving every minute of it.  Wherever I was, if I got tired of pretending, I read books (more pretending, really).  I was spoiled:  I seldom had chores, and I could eat whatever I wanted, any time I felt like it.  I've conquered eating-all-the-time in my old age, but I still have a lazy streak a mile wide, and if need be, I can still use my imagination.

I grew up with no running water and an outside toilet; this didn't change until we moved to the city when I was twelve.  I'm amazed at the way the younger generation is so finicky about using outdoor facilities if they happen to come across them.  You want controversy?  This business of disposable diapers for women who don't work outside the home seems ridiculous to me.  I do remember the stench of a diaper pail, but it still makes sense to me to buy something you can reuse, rather than something to fill up landfills (please notice, women employed outside the home get a pass on my statement).  I had no problem rinsing a poopy diaper in the toilet when the kids were babies, something I've seen younger folks cringe at when I mention it.  When my kids were in diapers, I was using a wringer washer.  This meant I had to wring everything out that was in that stinky diaper pail before I put it in the machine.  Before my daughter was out of diapers, we bought (on credit) an automatic washer, and then I just poured the whole contents of the diaper pail in there and put it through a spin cycle before washing.  

But all those things pale in comparison to the way they did things when my parents were young.  None of my life seems like it was a hardship at all, when I remember my mom's stories.  

So, there you are with today's meanderings.  Looking back over the words, I think the most controversial topic in this entry is my opinion about disposable diapers.  Surely I can't get in too much trouble for that, right?  However, my training in Internet controversy came from an AOL Christian chat room, back in 1998; by the time I got through that, I swore off chat rooms AND Internet squabbles.

Peace.
 


5 comments:

  1. I am such a liberal Christian my older son does not even believe I am Christian. I tell him I DO believe in God. I just don't believe, for example, that God wrote the Bible like some of my friends believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true there is always something to blog about. I think you covered a lot of possibilities in your post for sure. I'm always glad to see you are still blogging. Many are not. It's become a habit for me and one I'd sorely miss. Hope you have a great week and find more to blog about. I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, a great story. My own most controversial opinion seems to be my extreme opposition to water in plastic bottles. My grandkids know better than to bring one to my house, but I know our daughter still buys them by the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids wore cloth diapers, and I worked full-time. I even took them on camping trips sometimes, instead of the disposables.It really wasn't that big a deal, and not hard at all. Like you, I put them through a rinse cycle first, then hot water. There are a wide range of religious beliefs and political leanings. Although I consider myself liberal, I am more conservative/Libertarian than many of my like-minded friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your a good story teller Donna! I’ve always enjoyed reading your entries!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!