Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My favorite yearly miracle

I've been planting green beans and watching them pop through the ground and grow for some fifty years, but I never grow tired of it.  

By the way, faithful readers, I know that the way seeds sprout and grow is "science", but I've not found science to be incompatible with holy things.  I see it all the time on Facebook:  someone posting some meme that says, "It's science.. " (often followed by some foul name-calling) implying that religion and science can't be intertwined.  But I digress.  To each his own.    
Green beans are probably the easiest crop in the world to grow, and they don't mess around.  With plenty of moisture, they often muscle their way through the top crust of the soil in four days or so.  

One morning you walk to the garden and see a suspicious crack in the ground.

You lift it up like a lid...

Here's another srtong little fellow pushing through my sandy soil.

And this precocious little girl, who was the first one to pop up, couldn't wait to grow leaves.

So simple, and yet so miraculous!

7 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL. I hope you have a plentiful crop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the green beans popping up in your garden. I won't plant until Memorial weekend probably. Our soil in Northern MN just doesn't warm up enough until then, and it takes a good week for the beans to pop through at my house. Last year I pre-soaked my corn before I planted it and it was up in about 5 days, now that was fun to see! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care what anyone calls it. I see it as beauty in a mostly less than beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching crops grow in a garden is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a green thumb. I just have to tell you every time I look out the back door I think of you. Our back yard is covered with Dandy Lions (what I call them)and I know you and Cliff like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog and was wondering one day you'd read mine

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!