Friday, October 28, 2016

I've gone to the dark side

Never say never.  Ever since those Keurig coffeemakers came on the scene, I've stood with the opposition.  Who would pay fifty cents a cup for coffee you drink at home?  Nobody stops at one cup anyway, do they?

I saw a real bargain on the Keurigs last week and shared the link on Facebook, mentioning that I wasn't interested in something that was so costly to use; then my friend Nancy told me they use theirs for cocoa, tea, and soup as well as coffee, and they bought the reusable filters that allow them to use their own ground coffee.  

This got me thinking.  

I've been drinking less coffee lately.  I've diagnosed myself with hiatal hernia, and am trying everything I think of to relieve the symptoms... don't worry, I will mention this little problem next time I have to go to a doctor.  For a few days I've been settling for green tea, which I'm learning to like.  So far I'm still having the 2 A.M. GERD., but the tea isn't bad.  I had headaches for three days from caffeine withdrawal, because green tea has much less caffeine than coffee.  But I digress.  

I was doing without coffee, but still grinding and making coffee for Cliff because he wasn't sure how many beans to use, etc.  It occurred to me that Cliff often just wants one cup of coffee, but drinks two because that's the least amount I want to make in our Bunn.  During the winter months, Cliff likes instant hot chocolate, too, and Nancy had mentioned they use their Keurig for that.  Cliff heats up water in the microwave and stirs in the envelope of instant hot chocolate.  How convenient it would be for him to simply turn on the Keurig and get a cup of hot water.

My only experience using a Keurig was during our stay at the Grand Canyon.  Finally, we had motel coffee that tasted good!  I don't have a lot of counter space in this mobile home, but the one at the motel didn't need a lot of space, so it would work for me.  

I found a deal at Kohl's that had the price, with discounts and free shipping, down to $80 and decided to take the plunge.  I then ordered the reusable filters, a package of four.

Yesterday my coffeemaker arrived... about three times the size of the one I used at the hotels; in fact, it's as big as my Bunn coffeemaker!  I scrounged around and found a spot for it.  I have K-cups ordered, but they won't arrive until Monday, so I used regular ground coffee in the reusable filter.  I've left the three free K-cups that came with the pot for Cliff.  He still hasn't tried it, but today is the day!

We'll see how this turns out.  Who knows, we might decide to store the Bunn until there are going to be several people around and use the Keurig all the time.  Worse comes to worse, Kohls would take it back.  Returns are a simple matter with them.  

This morning I stuck a teabag in the filter and used the Keurig to make my green tea.  It worked perfectly.  I've learned, thanks to the Internet, that you can get the K-cups for as little as thirty-three cents each.  That's still expensive by my standards, but if it fits our aging lifestyle, it works for me.   I also learned that by registering my Keurig, they'd pay for half of my first order for pods. 

I know in my bones that Cliff will love the convenience.  I feel myself being swayed in that direction, too.   

4 comments:

  1. I love my Keurig and my new one even lets me make a pot of coffee if I want. I use it all the time. If I want a cup of tea, I just put the tea bag in my cup and use the hot water feature. I have used the pods that you can add your own coffee from time to time but not often. I love the variety of flavored coffees available too. Hope you enjoy yours !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Keurig at work and I love it! No more wasted pots of coffee or old coffee with that nasty, burnt smell. We have regular K cups and the reusable pod too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Convenience and taste are worth the price, in my opinion. That said, I make my own mocha and it's a bit time intensive, but delicious. My guilty indulgence in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a Keurig years ago when another blogger was always raving about hers. I use K-cups & the filter for my own ground as well. Years back, I really enjoyed perked coffee the best, but for one person, not so much. ...or rather, I would drink too much of it.
    I hope you 2 enjoy it as much as I do. Right after a season, the seasonal k's usually go on sale, so that is a frugal person's shopping option. I've also found the k's very reasonable at TJ Maxx, but variety is limited there.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!