Saturday, October 08, 2016

Hello Autumn

I woke up a little cold in the night  but it's no wonder, really.  I had only a sheet and a very light summer bedspread to cover me.  I thought about putting flannel sheets on the bed, but after checking the ten-day forecast I saw there are temperatures in the upper 70's coming soon.  So it's too soon for flannel sheets, but I will throw one of my mom's quilts on the bed, and perhaps dig out my winter bedspread.  It's 65 here in the house, and 41 outside.  Yes, I think I feel Old Man Winter breathing down my neck.

I generally wake up many times during the night, which used to drive me crazy, but at some point along the way I realized that if I can keep myself from obsessing about my lack of sleep, it doesn't seem to bother me that much.  I try to stay in bed until 4, but if I can't get back to sleep, like today, I will get up at 3.  

This morning I listened to music on the computer and shared a couple of Youtube videos on Facebook.  I mostly just share for my own benefit, because I'm pretty sure most people are like me and aren't interested in unfamiliar music.  If someone shares a video of a familiar song I love, I will listen.  But if I've never heard of the song or artist... well, you know how it is:  My music is better than your music.  Ha!  

I'm one of those people who can't keep music playing in the background all the time, even if it's music I love.  If I'm trying to do a blog entry or read a book, it distracts me.  When I was in high school, I couldn't listen to music and do homework the way so many kids do.  In fact, even when I'm not reading, I can only take so much constant noise.  I remember when my kids used to watch cartoons in the morning before getting on the school bus, the noise drove me crazy.  It was pure ecstasy, that silence that enveloped the house when they left.  

After I got the Amazon tap and started taking it with me when I went to bed, I discovered music labeled as "new age" doesn't distract me at all.  I turn the volume down very low and it helps me go to sleep (Cliff can't hear it, since his hearing aid doesn't come to bed with him) and it also relaxes me.  I can even have it playing when I'm reading!  

There used to be a handful of other early-morning people on Facebook, mostly ladies, who awoke as early as I do.  We'd start our day together.  The group is pretty silent now, in part because one of us will soon be gone and we're dealing with that (yeah, I know, it's all about me... good grief, what about her?)  Mortality is a fact of life, but when we stare it in the face, it silences us because we realize our time is coming.  (Christine, you are never far from our thoughts.)

So I listen to music, discovering new artists nobody else will give a hoot about or listening to old hymns from my childhood that almost make me cry, they're so meaningful.  I laugh at Todd Snider's lyrics, but I don't share them on Facebook because he uses a few bad words from time to time, and I try not to offend folks.  But the guy cracks me up.

So there you have it, just a little more drivel from someone who has nothing noteworthy to blog about.   

Enjoy this day.  It's really all we have, this day.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, today is all we have--carpe diem. I'm only 60, but I'm already feeling time slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my flannel sheets on. One day we've been in the 80's next day down in the lower 60's and 50's. The weather has turned cooler here once again and I'm thankful for the flannel. I really think the 80 degree days are gone until next year. I have yet to get out the blankets but I'm thinking this week I'm going to need them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I left my windows opened last night as I do till the temps get to cold. I love fresh air. The cooler a bedroom is for sleeping the better I sleep. I closed the windows downstairs. Zayn, my 10 year old grandson was downstairs. I do wish I could sleep like when I was younger. I can't fall asleep, so it's difficult at times. I'm taking melatonin which helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fall asleep pretty well, but I don't stay asleep. I also Don't FB, so I go back to bed, & try to ....you know the routine from your own past experience, I'm sure. I ate yogurt last night at midnite...seemed to help. No music, but I've listened to some NPR talks recently. Russ would be shocked & amused, if anyone knew where to find him.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!