Tuesday, November 18, 2014


It's quiet around here this week, since we don't have the baby at present.  We will only have her a couple of days next week, maybe not even that if weather prevents her daddy from working; although, of course, he is always willing to share her for a few hours if we get to missing her too much.  

We are so attached to Cora that it's going to be a heart-breaker when we are no longer part of her life, which, honestly, could happen at any time, since her parents are looking for an acreage to buy.  On days like today when we haven't seen her for quite a while, I remind poor downcast Cliff that we will have to let her go at some point, that she was only loaned to us; but he doesn't want to discuss it.  Believe me, when the time comes, it is going to break his heart, because he doesn't prepare himself for unpleasant times ahead.  I can deal with it.  I'll be sad, but I am mentally prepared, and have been since we first began watching her.  

The calves are growing and doing well.  All of them are eating calf starter and hay.  Gypsy, the brown one (daughter of my cow Grace), was a month old the 17th.  Whitey, standing, is a month old today, and Moose, the one in the middle, is five days younger.  It hasn't been a lot of fun going out in the cold twice a day to put Grace with them so they can nurse, but it doesn't take long.  I also go out three times a day with hot water so I can pour it over the ice in the chicken's water bucket and thaw them a little something to drink.  

If a gal's going to feed three growing children, she needs to get her head deep in the hay bale!

Cliff is spending lots of time in the shop working on his Allis Chalmers D-17, Series IV tractor.  Those of you who have me as a Facebook friend can look at the progress in an album I set up just for the project.  

The sweet baby we watch gave me a cold with sore throat and coughing week before last.  Then, while I was still coughing from the cold, she gave her parents, me, and Cliff an abdominal curse that laid us low for awhile.  I hope this means all our winter illnesses are done for this winter.  We have certainly had our quota.  

Yesterday we went to our favorite Oklahoma Joe's (now known as "Joe's Kansas City Barbecue).  It was bitter cold, and as usual the waiting line extended outside onto the sidewalk.  I'll share this little story that I already posted for my Facebook friends.
Cliff and I arrived at Oklahoma Joe's around 11:15 A.M. There was a line that reached outside to the sidewalk, and it was a cold day. We happened to be waiting behind a couple of guys with Seahawks Stocking caps on. They seemed to be in fairly good humor, considering their team lost yesterday. At one point, Cliff said, “We should have called in our order and eaten in the car.”
We tried that once,” I said. “Barbecue is too messy to eat in the car.”
It would have been better than wasting all this time waiting in line,” he responded.
But waiting in line is part of the charm,” I answered.
The Seahawks fans turned toward me, smiling, and the one nearest me said, “You are a lady with a positive attitude.”
No,” Cliff told him. “She's just crazy.”

Keep warm, everybody!



Children do seem to be the carriers of vicious bugs. Glad you got these out of your system before the holidays. They calves look sweet. Standing in line in the bitter cold is always a pain. Bet the meal you got was worth the wait, though.

Margaret said...

Glad the Seahawks fans were pleasant! We have a bad rep, but mostly undeserved. Being loud is not the same as being obnoxious. Is there a hospital near to you where you could go hold babies? I know that our local hospitals have programs for that. I might do it some day, especially if I don't end up with any grandchildren.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You keep warm too ! It's that time of year we need to bundle up for sure !