Monday, April 04, 2011

Around here

It was windy yesterday (Sunday) and although we heard lots of motorcycles going past on the nearby highway, we opted not to join them; we had a good ride Saturday.  
After we had a nice stir-fry for dinner, Cliff went out to make a way for the cows to get in the new pasture, without letting the horses in.  Horses founder if they have too much to eat, so they certainly don't need the lush spring grass.  I went out to help, although it surprises me how much I'm limited by my arthritic knees.  


  This is the entryway Cliff made for the cows over a year ago, on another new pasture.  The area we turned them on yesterday is the part you see on the left, the plowed ground in the picture.   


 Here's the project, half-done.  Cliff runs electric fence above the entryway so the tall horses won't even try to get in; if they did, they'd be in for a rude shock.  


I had to coax Bonnie through the entrance the first time because she's used to electric fence going across that spot; but once she was in, it didn't take her long to find the tender grass.  Clyde hasn't gotten up nerve enough to enter yet, but eventually he will.  It took Sir Loin three days to follow his mom onto the new grass, back in November of 2009.  Bonnie ate her fill, exited the enclosed area to be with her son, and then returned to graze.  We had wondered if she'd find her way out without help, but she is a smart little cow.  She was in and out several times yesterday evening.   


  Yesterday morning, the first of my daffodils finally decided to bloom.  


So did the hyacinths.  It's about time!   


Today Cliff is taking me to the Social Security office so I can show them our marriage license as proof I'm married to him.  They have to see my marriage license before I can have the raise I'm supposed to get when Cliff retires (spousal benefits or something like that).  My goodness, is it possible we will have been married for forty-six years in June?      


  

5 comments:

  1. It does look like Spring has Sprung there where you live. Glad the weather has changed there for you. We are warmer this morning. I can only hope it lasts, but it's not supposed to. It's to rain so no sunshine here today. Hope your Monday is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday I went to work in long johns with a hoodie under my coat. Yesterday I spent the day wearing shorts around the house. Freaking crazy place and freaking crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had very few blooms this spring. I had two hyacinths bloom and they were not very hardy and the wonderful smell was missing. My easter lilies have been very few so far. I do have a loy of green shoots maybe they will bloom yet. I have 3 yellow tulips blooming. Of course tulips get less every year unless you replant. the weather is very weird this year AS DAREV2005 SAID. COOL TODAY HOT THE NEXT DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a mild panic attack at the thought of locating our wedding certificate. We've been married 35 years and I don't think I've touched/seen it since we initially received it. I have a few years before I'll need to produce it so can start looking now.
    I envy you your flowers. We have a few more weeks of snow and cold weather before we'll see any here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a clue where our marriage certificate is! It's been 40 years as of May 6th, where do the years go?!

    Smart cow, it didn't take her long to find her way to the nice tender grass. You'll have to let us know how long it takes the other one. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!