Friday, February 23, 2018

Dogs, checkbooks, etc.

We'll be going on an overnight trip with the tractor club in April, this time to Illinois to see the Caterpillar museum (and many other things).  The club secretary tried getting this trip together for last fall, but there weren't enough people interested at the time; she needs a certain number of folks on any bus trip to pay for the bus and driver.  Cliff and I couldn't go then because he was getting radiation, so we were among the first to volunteer this time.  Gabe will be staying at Bed and Bones, where we take him for grooming.  They have excellent ratings and are praised by local folks.  The grandson and Heather used to take Titan there, and he loved it.  One time we delivered him to Bed and Bones for them.  When we made the last turn to get there, he was up looking out the window and wagging that huge tail of his; he couldn't wait!  Gabe will have to spend parts of three days, and two nights, since we leave so early the first morning and get back so late the second day.  I won't worry about his treatment there (check the reviews!), but I will worry about what's going through his head.  Maybe after spending some time there, he'll be more comfortable staying in the future.  Let's face it, there's no place for a dog on a bus.

Last Sunday we took him with us to get some hay for the horses.  He seemed to enjoy the 20-miles-one-way trip, but about five miles before we got back home, he puked in the back seat.  Cliff doesn't deal well with such a situation, although it cleaned up nicely (I did the cleanup).  So I ordered something that would let us both rest easier:
We don't take him many places, just on short local trips.  But eventually we might.  So we'll be using this until he (perhaps) outgrows car-sickness.  I average at least $30 a week spending money on this dog, probably more if you count the expensive food I get him, the grooming, the toys... so far he's been worth it.


This is my checkbook.  It's 48 years old, having been given to me by a teenager (probably 16 at the time) named Tom Dent, back when my children were small.  Tom was quite a presence around our place back then.  He rode a dirt bike like a pro.  He could ride a wheelie on that bike all the way through town when Oak Grove had their parade, front wheel never touching the ground.  He was a hero to my children:  My four-year-old son would pretend to be him, trying to lower his childish voice in an attempt to sound like an adult, saying, "Hi.  I'm Tom."  My daughter simply loved him.  He'd put both the kids on his motorcycle at once and take them for brief rides around the yard and driveway.  I even recall him taking my kids and Cliff's brother, Don's, three kids with him all at once on the bike, back when my sister-in-law's dad was dying and I had them for a week.  Fun times.  Anyway, this checkbook has come to have a sentimental value to me.  It was a gift given for no reason or occasion; I guess Tom just wanted to make a checkbook and had to think of somebody's initials to put on it.  (You can see the "W" in the upper corner of the picture if you look closely.  The "D" is above it on the cover.

As you can tell, it's in horrible condition.  I'm trying to find a way to get new stitching on it.  I went to a Tandy store, but they only sell the leather-working stuff, they don't fix things.  They suggested I check the business cards on the bulletin board.  The closest thing I could find to what I was searching for was people who work on saddles.  Next time we're in Amish Country, I'll see what I can do to get my checkbook cover fixed.  If I can't, I will STILL carry this checkbook.  I was going to have it cremated with me, but my daughter says she wants it.  One thing about it, we stick to cash for almost everything these days and pay our bills online.  So it doesn't get a lot of use.  

Oh, I want to thank any readers of mine who click on the ads here.  Yesterday Google placed $100 in my checking account.  This is the second time they've paid me $100 for doing something I would be doing anyhow, with no thought of being paid.


I can tell by the balance on the right that Cliff's payday was Wednesday.  Our checking account balance is usually in the two- and three-digit range.  

Peace.




8 comments:

  1. I will be clicking on all those ads from now on.
    Sister Patsy would be clapping that you were making
    the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know clicking on the ads would make money for the blogger,

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it's going to be a wonderful trip! Pets are expensive, but worth it. The cat who lives with me is quite a princess herself. :) I love the wallet, and will click on the ad I see on the site for David's Bridal. Perhaps they will have a pretty mother of the bride dress for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I used to have ads on my old blog and only got ten dollars. Since I'm presently nearly broke, I'm considering getting them again.
    My father used to have a checkbook that looked almost exactly like yours, but I don't know whatever happened to it. Hopefully you can get yours repaired.

    I like the back seat contraption that you got for Gabe to ride in - but it's unfortunate that he got car sick.
    My cat Bosco enjoys puking on my bedroom carpet (I stepped in it the other night).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the checkbook. It seems as though the leather is good, it just needs new lacing around the edge. Am I wrong? I don't think that would be that hard, and there may be a youtube video that shows how to do that. Tandy should have the lacing for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUA2jx1c1sE

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have one of those things that we use for Bryant because, as much as he loves going places, he ALMOST ALWAYS gets car sick, poor thing. He has never outgrown it. If Eler Beth is taking him on a drive longer than 15 or 20 minutes, she will pull over about every half hour and let him get out and walk around. That sometimes helps. What is really funny (not haha funny!) is that sometimes he does great on a trip until just before or just as we pull into the drive of wherever we're going, and then he throws up. If she is very, very careful about how she feeds him, and if she gives him Dramamine, he might make it okay. He LOVES his vet's office, which is also where he is boarded when needed, and it isn't far, so he usually doesn't get sick going there. He, too, always knows when we pull in to their parking lot just where he is. He loves his people there and they think the world of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He may grow out of it. My dogs went everywhere with us. Sadly, a lot of the trip they layed on my lap. I love treasured things. I hope your able to find someone to do the new stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will click on the ads now too! :) Have a wonderful time at the tractor show. My daughter-in-law's father is into Allis-Chalmers tractors and I *think* we have a new museum that just opened in our county for them. Blessings~ Andrea xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!