Sunday, March 26, 2017

Shopping for food in Mexico

This is sort of a hodge-podge of pictures.  I've taken too long to do these entries, and I'm rather removed from the whole exciting Mexico trip by now.  Between babysitting weekdays and lousy CenturyLink Internet service that slows picture-loading to a standstill, I've put things off so long, the experience isn't fresh and new.  However, there will be one more Mexico entry after this one.

Call me crazy, but I got a big kick out of watching Brooke buy groceries.  It was another favorite activity of mine while we were there.  Forgive me for always showing her backside... she has a very lovely face, I just wasn't concentrating on her when I took the pictures or I might have asked her to turn around and smile, at least.  

I don't recall ever tasting mangoes before this vacation, but we had plenty of them during our visit.  They were delicious, and available everywhere.  You can buy eggs one or two at a time in the roadside stalls, if you don't want to purchase a whole dozen.
It's fun to see something so familiar; only the language on the box is different.


This store was very much like those I'm used to at home, but there are many brands and various items you won't find in Mexico.  Brooke doesn't think the potatoes raised there are as good as the ones you get here, but the fried potatoes she fixed for us tasted great to me.

I followed Brooke into several of these roadside enterprises.

Those pineapples looked good, but fresh pineapple makes my mouth hurt.

Pineapples contain an plant protease enzyme called bromelain. Because it readily breaks down protein, bromelain is frequently used as a natural meat tenderizer. In addition, bromelain may also induce a prickly sensation in the mouth when consumed.




Among other things, Brooke bought some pork rinds to crumble over the the contents of our tortillas.  Surprisingly good.


I think this is where Brooke bought a variety of bottled, fresh-made juices, combinations of various fruits and vegetable juices I'd never heard of.

Just one of several meals we ate out



4 comments:

  1. What a lovely experience Donna. People have a commonality of food, but how they cook or what items they use are different. I've enjoyed your entries on 🇲🇽 Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely shop. Buying groceries never looked so good. What a wonderful time you had there. You were lucky for sure to get to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous shops! In the first photo, I noticed the chairs right away... are they for the checkers to sit in? What a great idea, instead of having them stand on their feet on concrete floors for their whole shift.

    About that pineapple: if you can't eat it, that doesn't mean you can't get the benefit of bromelain, especially for arthritis in the knees. When my husband used to do triathlons and occasionally marathons (why would anyone do that??), we would cut up a fresh pineapple into rings and rub them into his knees and hips after his training runs and events. Sometimes he'd plastic wrap some pineapple against his knees to keep it there longer. He still swears that's what kept him going until he finally got smart enough to find new hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Tony the Tiger as a kid, but I have never eaten Frosted Flakes. Oh, my woeful childhood...(actually, never missed them, either. I like Grape Nuts & have never bought a frosted cereal)
    I get that feeling sometimes with fresh pineapple & sometimes not. Never knew the cause, or that it wasn't just my weirdness. Thanks for the info. I would like a banana after viewing them though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!