Sunday, January 01, 2017

Welcome, 2017

Happy new year, all you party animals! I'm the one who went to bed at 8 PM like always and got up at 3 AM, like always. There's a pretty night sky outside; I know this because I went to let Titan, the grandson's dog, out to pee as soon as I'd had a cup of coffee. On the way back I snatched my cheese ball and some crackers and chips from the shop, where the family gathered yesterday, because I plan to eat junk food all day (my last hoorah for a while). I might make some broccoli-and-cheese soup, just in case Cliff wants something besides junk food.

Meanwhile, I have a week to make up my mind whether I'm going to Cozumel with my daughter and her husband in March (hint: I'll probably go, since Cliff seems to be all for it and is willing to fund the trip if necessary).

Everybody talks about what an awful year 2016 was, but for me personally, it was a good enough year. Cliff and I stayed out of the hospital and haven't had serious illnesses. Why on earth would I let the death of some rock star or movie star affect my life? Especially those who were so old that any fool would know it was their time to die. But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

I have more aches and pains as I age, but that's normal. Forgetting all the political nonsense and looking at my own life, it's been a decent year. This past election certainly brought out a lot of folks' true colors, and that's all I'll say about that.

One by one, as people have shared political memes and such on Facebook (both left and right), I've clicked on the drop-down arrow beside their updates and opted out of seeing whatever person originated said post before the friend shared it. This has made a positive difference in what I see. The election is over, people.

I have no resolutions this year, and no advice except to tell the younger folks to walk and run and skip as much as you can. Dance and sing and listen to the music of life, because a time might come when your body just won't let you do those things any more. Above all, enjoy children at every stage of your life and learn from them.

"A little child shall lead them."

That's all the "words of wisdom" you'll get from me, but here are a few words from the Bible:

Ecclesiastes 12The Message (MSG)

12 1-2 Honor and enjoy your Creator while you’re still young,
Before the years take their toll and your vigor wanes,
Before your vision dims and the world blurs
And the winter years keep you close to the fire.
3-5 In old age, your body no longer serves you so well.
Muscles slacken, grip weakens, joints stiffen.
The shades are pulled down on the world.
You can’t come and go at will. Things grind to a halt.
The hum of the household fades away.
You are wakened now by bird-song.
Hikes to the mountains are a thing of the past.
Even a stroll down the road has its terrors.
Your hair turns apple-blossom white,
Adorning a fragile and impotent matchstick body.
Yes, you’re well on your way to eternal rest,
While your friends make plans for your funeral.
6-7 Life, lovely while it lasts, is soon over.
Life as we know it, precious and beautiful, ends.
The body is put back in the same ground it came from.
The spirit returns to God, who first breathed it.
It’s all smoke, nothing but smoke.
The Quester says that everything’s smoke.

5 comments:

  1. A happy New Year to you and Cliff. May it be the best ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post - I enjoyed it....but getting up at 3:00 a.m. is alarming to me. That's usually when I go to sleep!

    New Year blessings to you, Cliff, and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your advice, as always, is spot on! Skip, jump and be happy for as long as you can. I definitely don't take good health for granted after what I've seen! I shake my head at those who grieve over the death of celebrities in their 80s and 90s. I am HOPING to make it to that age, as long as I can keep doing most of what I enjoy. Go on the trip, my friend. I stayed up too late last night. I'm too old to be awake at 1 am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am just going to sleep when you are waking up and venturing into your day. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes wake at 3 am but try very hard to go back to sleep...now with a cheeseball, that might be a very different story.

    Yes, celebrity death mourning can seem over the top, but I will admit that Debbie Reynolds dying one day after her daughter, Carrie Fisher, was deeply sad(& oddly brought on some complex thoughts) to me.
    YOU HAD BETTER GO ON THAT VACATION! What a wonderful idea, & with Rachel? A must-go.
    Cliff is a very smart man, but we all kinda knew that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!