Friday, December 25, 2015

A strange, yet peaceful, Christmas day

There weren't any family plans for today, so Cliff and I made our own.  We had a turkey dinner in mind, but none on the table.  I did an Internet search and found out the only two local eateries that are open on Christmas seemed to be McDonald's and Denny's.

We went to Denny's, and it was very crowded.  All the waitresses, though, seemed to be in a holiday mood.  Surprisingly, the turkey, dressing, potatoes and gravy were delicious.  So were the desserts... pecan pie for me and strawberry cheesecake for Cliff.  We came on home for coffee, because this is the only place we can get decent coffee.  And then we found stuff to watch, right after we gave the cows a new bale of hay.

An episode of "NYPD Blue", the seventh season.  "The Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out).  We watched "It's a Wonderful Life" yesterday, so this afternoon we went on to "Christine".

I don't usually care for scary movies, but there is always a place in my heart for "The Shining" and "Christine".

Oh my goodness!  I forgot what a wonderful sound those classic cars made.  Never mind the fact that Christine killed Arnie, the kid who loved her.  

Earlier today Cliff mentioned something he was interested in buying, but he thought the price was a little high.  Merry Christmas to Cliff, because since he was cautious about spending that much money, I told him I'd pay for it out of the general household fund.  That fund, by the way, mostly comes from his income... but since I have it designated as household fund, that makes it mine to dole out.  

This morning this thought passed through my mind:  "It feels like just another day."

And then common sense answered, "Hey, you have another day!  You won the lottery!"

It's been a good one.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your Christmas was pleasant. I was going to have turkey, but I forgot to buy a pan to cook it in when I was in town, so I'll have to wait until next week. I wasn't in the mood to cook on Christmas, anyway, so I made club sandwiches and then had chocolate cake.

    For some weird reason, I've always liked "Christine" - it's a sort of classic.

    I have mixed feelings about "The Shining" but I do love the cold, isolated atmosphere that it projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a peaceful Christmas day. I'm like you so thankful for the gift of another day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds low key! The Shining was a terrifying book;the movie was less so, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!