Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Instructions from the family doctor, from 1944

One of my favorite of Mother's keepsakes is a letter from the doctor who delivered me, in answer to a letter she had written to him.  I was born on July 7, so I would only have been a couple weeks old when this was written.  


I am so thankful my mom kept things like this.  

Unfortunately (or not, depending on how you look at it), she didn't follow the doctor's advice not to not spoil me.  She was in her 30's, and I was the first baby she successfully carried to full term, although she had a boy a few years before I was entered the world who went full term, but was strangled by the umbilical cord when he "dropped"; so he was still-born.  However, Mother did inherit a daughter when she married Daddy in 1932: my wonderful sister, Maxine, who has been a blessing to everyone with whom she ever came in contact.  Maxine was among those who helped spoil me.  

Peace.

3 comments:

  1. How precious to have memories like that from you mother. My own mom didn't save much at all except for pictures. I don't think you ever really spoil a child too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Donna, how precious!! How I wish things were like this today!! Lovingly, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that neat! I do have my mom's diary written the year after my dad died. but that's all I have of hers.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!