Tuesday, June 27, 2017

the kid cooks, and then plays.

I've been allowing our little princess to help me in the kitchen for a long time, and it's finally paying  off.  Once a week she makes pancakes with my assistance.  Nowadays she doesn't make as big a mess, and goes as far as measuring some of the ingredients (pouring the milk into the measuring cup herself), cracking the egg, using my hand egg beater to mix the liquid ingredients, adding the liquids to the dry ingredients she has already mixed thoroughly, and stirring those together.  She scrapes the bowl as she stirs, like any good cook would.  She can name all the ingredients as I set them out for her:  flour, sugar, baking powder (sometimes she forgets and says baking soda), and oil.

She will soon be four years old, but it will be awhile before I let her do the actual cooking.  

I've had people online tell me I have remarkable patience, allowing her to do all this.  Well folks, I have a confession to make:  I'm a slob.  I barely keep house at all.  So here's the way I look at it:  How much is a little more mess going to hurt?


  
And does she ever LOVE eating pancakes!

On another note.  When little Princess arrived this morning, her parent was carrying a tote bag.  Once the bag was on the floor, I saw it was FULL of little toy things, similar in size to Little People figures.  My first thought was, "Oh no, something else to be strung around all over the house."  

As I was looking at it from a distance, she proudly announced, "Dalmatians!"

Trying to feign interest, I got up and went closer as she started removing them from the bag.  That's when my interest became real, because these were some of the cutest little things I've ever seen, and they are made plenty tough, so they'll probably last forever.  I don't know that there are 110 Dalmatians, but there are dozens of them, for sure.
Look at the detail!  Every single dog is different from the others.  Their legs are movable, so you can stand them up, sit them up, or lay them down.  I got down in the floor to play with them, although since they are new, the girl isn't sharing too well.  


Then Cliff got up.  He wasn't ready to get in the floor yet, so I brought in a cookie sheet the dogs could play in and do their tricks (yes, some of them do tricks.  



Thank you, Iowa grandma, for getting her these toys.  She loves them, and so do we.  Of course, they aren't staying here, but perhaps she will bring them another day and let me play with them.

8 comments:

  1. pancakes sound scrumptious. those Dalmatians are the cutest things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having grandchildren over is one of life's greatest & most happy joys! We're not "allowed" to have our grandgirls over anymore (long heartbreaking story) & that's a wound that never heals. Anyway, have fun with your precious princess!!

    Blessings upon your day~ Andrea
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, that sounds like a heart-breaking story. I'm so sorry. This little girl is no relation to us, but we've had her from such a young age, she feels like a granddaughter. We needed a child in our life, so God sent us one to babysit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a dull moment there at your house. What fun !

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is someone, somewhere, who does not love eating pancakes?

    I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but the 2 of you are the best babysitters ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the memories this little girl will have as she grows up. All the fun things you do with her and teach her will never leave her. Those dalmations are the cutest little things too! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me, letting the little ones help all they could when I cooked kept them out of trouble while I was busy in the kitchen. And it does make special memories! Sometimes the kids get toys that are so cute, fun or unusual that it makes you wish you could be a kid again!
    Visit me @ Life & Faith in Caneyhead. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad she is learning to "cook" at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!